Global utility Construction is a holder of a Class B asbestos removal licence for projects that require the removal of asbestos waste during the excavation process, including the removal of underground asbestos pipes.
TeamGUC supported the 2022 National Asbestos Awareness Week Campaign as it’s a timely reminder of the importance of carrying out any work in line with work health and safety laws. The 2022 campaign asks home renovators and tradespeople to Be Asbestos Ready.
WHS laws are in place to protect all workers and the community from exposure to asbestos fibres. Asbestos causes cancer, and the importation and use of asbestos has been banned in Australia since 31 December 2003.
Asbestos-related diseases are entirely preventable by following safe asbestos removal practices, including:
- Make sure all asbestos workers are fit-tested when using any tight-fitting respirator (both positive and/or negative pressure)
- Do a fit check each time you wear your respirator
- Be clean-shaven to ensure your respiratory protective equipment has an adequate seal on your face. If you have facial hair, you should use a loose-fitting powered air-purifying respirator
- Maintain and store respirators in line with manufacturers’ recommendations
- Ensure you comply with regular health monitoring requirements.
Even though we might occasionally encounter or suspect asbestos in some work areas. The more informed we have, the better.
For more information, visit – Asbestos Safety for Tradies – YouTube